Best Case Fans 2018 – Reviews and Buying Guide
When a computer starts to function, it produces a lot of heat. The various smaller parts of the larger machine each perform a function and a lot of heat. When a CPU (Central Processing Unit: where the majority of the heat producing parts are located) is designed without the slot for a case fan, or is not provided with one (and the user does not know about this), there can be a varied range of effects, from hardware or software malfunction (which are not that problematic in and of themselves) to serious meltdowns (which are pure disasters).
Purpose and Benefits of Case Fans
A case fan serves a very simple and serves dual purposes: it draws out the hot air present inside the CPU and draws in the cool air from outside the CPU. It is fitted into a slot that is present on the internal side of the case. This has steadily become one of the support of the hardware and software industries, as it has a whole range of advantages:
Some of the main features of a case fan are: it cools the CPU, draws out hot air and prevents the computer from overheating due to high requirement operations. Prevents the computer from shutting down due to being powered on for a long span of time. It allows installation and running of new and improved software and hardware, as the CPU remains cool all the while.
While a person who does not use their computer for stressful operations, like high-definition gaming, may not face these problems, there is no question that a case fan will prolong the life of any and every computer. When kept powered on for too long (which is quite often the case with writers, editors, proofreaders, and other such professionals), a computer can shut down by itself which can cause a plethora of problems to you. A case fan prevents a whole range of issues and generally gives any computer an increase in lifespan.
Disadvantages of Case Fans
Case Fans are a great addition to your system but they are not without their shortcomings. You must make sure to use the right case fan size, as used in inappropriate one can ruin the machine and can leave you in tatters. Plus, using a Case Fans leads to an additional cost and the cost of a case fan is normally higher than other normal components of a machine. It also leads to an increase in energy consumption as it runs throughout the span when your system is switched on. If the fan is taking too much load, it can lead to a heavy continuous noise which leads to noise pollution.
List Of Best Case Fans 2018
1. Corsair Air Series AF120
The best performance by Air Series fans can be derived when the spaces are not restricted with a clearance of at least 3 cm. An exhaust fan is quintessential for all the components of the PC including CPU, graphics accelerators, motherboard etc. as well as absorption fan for the bottom or side panels. This series of fans also provide air flow to all the corners of the PC where the air volume is less, such as hard drive cages. In that case, the Air Series SP model high static pressure fans are ideal.
Some Special features of this product are: The Corsair Air Series fans display great efficiency in air circulation with a lower noise level and pleasing LED lighting. The Air Series fans are able to give the best performance in places that are unrestricted with at least 3 cm of space free around it. To give the optimal airflow along with lesser noise as well as severely unwanted turbulence, the Air Series Fans are custom molded and are ultra thin.
- The quiet edition of the Corsair air series is very quiet, giving a very satisfying performance at OC and stock levels.
- The construction of the fan is sturdy along with a very good speed of airflow.
- The fan itself is very affordable as the price is kept low.
- The noise level of the AF120 performance edition is bit loud.
- It has a quite apparent vibration.
2. Corsair LL Series LL120
Corsair is one of the leading producers of the case fan, and coming from them, this series came with a huge expectation. The series with its excellent airflow, lesser noise and eye-catching lighting, has already put many of the PCs back in a loop. This fan takes pride in flaunting its 16 independent LEDs across two light loops which are separated to create breathtaking lighting effects. Anyone who is a fan of LED lightings will definitely love the visual effect that this model of case fan creates.
Special Features of this product are: There is a number of customization effects available for the 16 independent RGB LED which is divided between two different loops of light. The fan speed is dynamically controlled from 600 to 1500 RPM in order to maximize airflow and minimize noise. The package comes with Corsair Lighting Node Pro enables fabulous effects of lighting with other devices that support Corsair link.
- The fan is a very lightweight device which weighs only about 2.88 ounces.
- There is a marvelous airflow speed.
- The LED lighting is also an added advantage.
- The low noise but high-performance operations through the 120mm blade also adds to the positive side.
- The product is really expensive.
3. ARCTIC F12 PWM PST
The ARCTIC fan edition with a lower price has a lot of potentials to compete with the expensive case fans. Its innovative design encourages lesser noise and greater ventilation. The improved cooling efficiency gives an effect of several case fans being used together. The service life of this fan is also quite long.
Special Features of this product are: The motherboard is able to run the fan at a perfect speed by the PWM function which minimizes noise and maximizes the airflow performance. The advanced design of the blade encourages more airflow. The fluid dynamic bearing that is equipped with a capsule of oil reduces leakages of lubricants which in turn, enhances the service life of the device.
- The product has an option of two-way installation which is really nice.
- Along with that, the product is a durable one.
- It is not expensive at all.
- Being an easily regulated product gives it an edge over its competitors.
- The downside of the product can be its lack of LED light, hence it might not look as good to some people as the ones with a LED light.
4. Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax
The Noctua NF-F12 series has received more than a 100 awards and recommendations from various magazine and websites related to hardware. This one is a very popular 120mm fan. Its incredible performance makes it ideal for radiators and heat sinks. A bundle of changeable designs along with the color customization feature of the fan, makes the device look great. Along with that, the trusted name of Noctua is surely an added reason to get attracted to this case fan.
Special Features of this product are: In the chromax.black.swap edition, there has been an increase in color choices with many customizations of colors being available for the anti-vibration pads along with the anti-vibration cables and mounts. With SSO2 bearing, the axis is even closer to the rear magnet which enables the device to provide a better durability, precession, and stabilization. The control notches and the varying angular distance feature helps to broaden the frequency of noise making it less irritable to the human ear. The focused flow feature of the fan helps it to perform as much airflow as a fan with much higher running speed.
- The swappable color of the anti-vibration pad can be color coordinated with popular themes such as black and white, all black or black and red.
- The reduced noise emission along with the 6 years manufacturer’s warranty will definitely enhance the value of this product in the eyes of the consumer.
- Added to all of these, the product is really affordable.
- There is no LED lighting present.
- The size of the extension may be a thing of concern for some people.
5. Cooler Master SickleFlow 120
This is one of the cheapest case fans available in the market. With light brown fan blades which are transparent for a nicer visual of LED effect along with strong air flow and lesser noise, this fan is undoubtedly one of the best fans available in the market. The Air balance style of the fan, along with the choice of LED colors available, makes the fan a really attractive choice for its buyers.
Special Features of this product are: The fan has a fantastic LED effect which is enhanced by the transparent light brown blades of the fan. Higher life expectancy is achieved through the long life sleeve bearing. In order to enhance the efficiency of cooling, the device is provided with a strong airflow. There is literally no noise when the fan operates.
- The completely silent functionality of the device.
- A higher life expectancy.
- Stronger airflow adds to the positive sides of the device.
- Added to this, the product price is really cheap.
- All the LED color options are not available for all the variants.
6. Corsair HD120 RGB LED
The Corsair HD120 RGB LED case fan with its superior performance backed by high static pressure with the exceptional delivery of air is sure to attract the buyers. The exceptional lighting effect provided by RGB LED can be controlled individually. With the availability of a 3 button controller, the lights of the LED can be synchronized and customized according to the users preferred theme.
Special Features of this product are: The RGB LED lighting which can be controlled individually and hence there is a scope of preferred customization. The easy access controller of 3 buttons can help in controlling various light effect including the speed and color of customization. There are very less vibration and noise due to the ultra-thin blades,
- The lesser sound and turbulence generated by the fan.
- The unique feature of endless customization of the LED lightings makes it one of the best out there.
- The negligible weight of the product is also an added advantage.
- The product is a bit expensive.
- Does not have the Corsair link compatibility option.
7. Thermaltake Ring 14 High Static Pressure
Thermaltake, as the name suggests, has come up with a case fan with the high static pressure that gives an extraordinary performance in cooling with an optimized fan blade. The bearing is a hydraulic one, promising a really low noise. Added to this, to increase the stability while operating, the manufacturers have provided an anti-vibration mounting system.
The color and brightness are maintained throughout the device by the LED ring on it. The LED rings are available in 4 color options- namely blue, white, green and red which adds to beautifying the product.
Special Features of this product are: The Concentrated Compression Blade (CCB) is designed to allow the proper flow of air throughout the CPU. The Wind Blocker Frame helps in creating a compression effect which blocks any pressure before it can escape. The Hydraulic Bearing has a highly efficient self-lubricating ability, that not only reduce operational noise but also increases life expectancy and efficiency of the product. The anti-vibration rubber pads present on all the corners of the device gives it a lot of protection
- The affordability of the product.
- 3 years of manufacturer’s warranty greatly boosts its image.
- Added to that the high air flow.
- Reduced noise level
- For some people, it might be a matter of concern that it is a 3 pin fan and not a PWM one.
8. Corsair ML140 Pro LED
Corsair ML140 Pro LED with its magnetic levitation technology and custom rotor design gives an unequal performance along with the reduced noise feature. Its innovative design provides both high airflow and static pressure. There are many options of LED lights available like Red, White or Blue which makes the product look really stunning.
Special Features of this product are: The magnetic bearing design helps in reducing noise, enhancing performance and life expectancy. The custom rotor design helps in delivering increased static pressure and airflow in any challenging environment. The power control range gives a perfect balance between lesser noise and greater performance. The anti-vibration rubbers can be replaced with the choice of varied colors available.
- The product is a high-end performer.
- Exceptionally quiet at the same time.
- Color Customization and radiating LED lights
- The price of the product is on the higher side.
- The corsair link compatibility feature is not supported.
- The option of color customization and radiating LED lights gives the product a very ravishing look which may be against some people’s taste.
9. Noctua NF-A14 PWM
the Noctua NF-A14 PWM is a case fan of premium quality with Advanced Acoustic Optimization (AAO) standard. The square-shaped quiet 140mm fan is the best when used on water cooling radiators. It features Flow Acceleration Channels which is a sophisticated aerodynamic design. This PWM edition comes with speed control which is fully automatic, through a 4 pin fan header along with Adaptor for low noise to reduce the operational sound of the product when it is operating between 1500 RPM and 1200 RPM. This case fan is the perfect combination of greater cooling capacity on products like heat sinks, water cooling radiators or case ventilators and amazingly low operational sound.
Special Features of this product are: The flow acceleration channel speeds up the airflow primarily on the outer blade region which lowers the separation of side flow suction leading to a greater efficiency and lesser vortex noise. The anti-vibration pads along with Noctua’s proprietary Stepped Inlet Design are featured by Noctua’s AAO frames added to Inner Microstructures Surface which also enhances the quality of the product reducing the operational noise. The Stepped Inlet Design improves the transition to turbulent flow from laminar flow enhancing the airflow quality and suction capacity especially in places which have restricted space. The inner surface microstructures help in separation of flow from the side of suction of blades resulting in lesser noise and increased efficiency. The metal bearing shell gives an excellent stability, manufacturing precision, and least tolerance. The semi-passive cooling turns the fan off automatically when it is set to 0% PWM duty cycle. There is an extensive cabling option available. With SSO2 bearing, the axis is even closer to the rear magnet which enables the device to provide a better durability, precession and stabilization
- Multiple technologies are being used to lower the noise.
- An increase in the quality of the product which ultimately produces a fine quality stabilized and durable product.
- The 6 years manufacturing warranty is also an added advantage.
- The price of the product is really affordable too.
- Usage of corsair’s proprietary hardware to synchronize the RGB function.
10. Cooler Master MegaFlow 200
The cooler master mega flow 200 with higher airflow provides the maximum cooling experience. The operation of this product is quiet due to the low RPM. The product also has RoHS compliance in order to protect the environment. This case fan is compatible with ATCS 840, HAF 922, Cosmos S and Storm Snipper. The product also adds additional cooling when installed on side panels for the graphics cards.
Special Features of this product are: The low rpm of the product enables lower noise for the model. The model is highly durable with the greater expectancy of life which makes the users use the product without any worry. The sleeve bearing type of the model also makes it more durable. The LED lights add to the beauty of the product
- The product is highly durable and is a lightweight one.
- Along with this, the product is really easy to set up.
- This case fan has a really remarkable air flow.
- The product is really within the budget which is also an added advantage.
A product with such good specifications, it is really hard to find a downside in it.
- However, the absence of an LED controller might upset some of the customers who are fans of the same.